10 Security Tips for Working Remotely
Consider what additional risks you may face in the event you are working without a net(work), or at least in a different environment.
- Use strong, unique passwords (preferably passphrases) for all your computer devices and online accounts. Consider a password manager.
- Set your devices, (including your smartphone), to lock after a short time, and require a passcode to unlock them.
- Patch and update all your software, applications, and operating systems regularly.
- Enable and employ multi-factor authentication wherever possible.
- Use a virtual private network (VPN) to access your employer’s network, and if you have to use public Wi-Fi.
- Don’t save documents on your computers and devices.
- Never click links in emails or texts that appear to come from your bank or any other institution. Always login to your accounts directly.
- Consider encrypting or protecting sensitive information you send over the Internet.
- Backup information contained on all of your devices, (especially if you plan to ignore #6), and test your backups.
- You are a line of defense (a security layer) against hackers and your own mistakes. Always be skeptical on the Internet, and with emails and attachments.